Complaints Procedure

If you are dissatisfied with any aspect of Social and Community Services and have not been able to resolve the problem to your own satisfaction, you may want to make a complaint.

Comhairle nan Eilean Siar has a procedure which encourages you to complain if you are not satisfied with the quality of service you receive.

The Complaints Procedure can be used by anyone who is dissatisfied: an individual, a family, a community group, a child or anyone receiving a service from the Department. People receiving a service from either a private or voluntary organisation which is paid for by the Social work Department may also use this procedure to make a complaint.