Invitation to Prepare Local Places Plans
We are currently inviting communities to create Local Place Plans (LPPs) in accordance with The Planning (Scotland) Act 2019 (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file).
Local Place Plans have been introduced to encourage communities to be active participants in planning for their futures and to have a more direct role in the decisions that influence their place.
Local Place Plans focus on the community’s proposals for the development and use of land and provide a new opportunity for communities to feed into the planning system with ideas and proposals. If a Local Place Plan is registered by the Comhairle, they are required to take the contents into account when preparing the next Local Development Plan.
For us to validate and register Local Place Plans submitted to us, they need to comply with the guidance set out in the Circular. A key feature of LPPs is that they are prepared by a ‘community body’ and contain proposals for the development and use of land, and the proposals are shown on a map.
The Comhairle cannot prepare Local Place Plans for communities, but we can help advise on the process and requirements and can signpost groups to sources of information and practical help.
Community bodies can prepare an LPP at any time, but if their purpose in preparing one is to influence our next Local Development Plan, it should be submitted to the Comhairle by September 2024.
If you are considering preparing a Local Place Plan, or are already in a position to submit one, we'd love to hear from you. Please contact: email@example.com.
Please see below for guidance on creating Local Place Plans:
- Resources - PAS (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- The Planning (Scotland) Act 2019 (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- The Town and Country Planning (Local Place Plans) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 (Opens in a new window) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- Planning Circular 1/2022: Local Place Plans (Opens in a new window)
- Local Place Plans | Our Place (Opens in a new window)
- How to Guide (PDF file, 3.5MB) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) (»)
- Parish Online (Opens in a new window)
- Place Standard tool | Our Place
An LPP can be promoted and developed by:
- Any individual or collection of community groups which meets the definition for community-controlled bodies (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- Community councils established in accordance with Part 4 of the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
The Planning department will keep a register of Local Place Plans as they are prepared. Once registered, Local Place Plans will have a statutory role in shaping the planning process. They will require to be taken account of by the council when it is preparing the next LDP.
No Local Place Plans are currently registered with Comhairle nan Eilean Siar.
If you have any questions about Local Place Plans, contact us by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org