In conjunction with Bòrd na Gàidhlig, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar are offering an opportunity to students with Gaelic skills to be employed for ten weeks during summer 2022 in the Western Isles with organisations which use Gaelic in the workplace every day.
These ten weeks can take place anytime over the summer, but the placement must be completed by 2 September, 2022.
This Scheme has been running for many years, and has been very successful in terms of developing the Gaelic skills of students, and giving them valuable experience of a professional work environment. From the point of view of the organisations, the Scheme can give them an opportunity to hire students to work on specific projects, work which would not be possible to do without the assistance of these students.
Information about the Scheme:
- The students must be in higher education (at university or in college);
- The students must have some Gaelic speaking, reading and writing skills;
- The students must be intending to return to higher education in autumn, 2022;
- The Gaelic organisations must pay the Living Wage to the students (£9.50 per hour);
- The students must work at least 30 hours per week on their placements, and;
- If possible, we recommend that priority be given to students who have not been on a placement scheme previously.
If you are a student with Gaelic skills, who will be in the Western Isles over summer, 2022, and you wish to apply for the Scheme, can you please fill in the application form on the Comhairle website.
The closing date for applications is 1 April, 2022.
For further information please contact Donald Weir at email@example.com.