Scottish Apprenticeship Week (2-6 March 2020) is the annual campaign to show that apprenticeships work for businesses, individuals and the economy. There is commitment to supporting more Modern Apprenticeships as well as Foundation and Graduate Level Apprenticeships. Apprenticeship week is co-ordinated by Skills Development Scotland (SDS). The campaign aims to encourage more employers to take on apprentices.
This year’s campaign theme is ‘Talent Without Limits’. This is an opportunity to raise awareness of the successes of apprentices who have chosen to get a job, get paid and get qualified to develop their careers.
Comhairle Leader, Cllr Roddie Mackay, said: “Research indicates that there is demand from young people for opportunities to study and work on the islands. As a Comhairle we are very supportive of providing opportunities for young people to pursue positive destinations within the islands and in doing so, slowing population decline and strengthening the islands’ economy.
“We would like to invite all local employers, school pupils, parents/carers, colleges and training providers as well as interested members of the public to participate in the Scottish Apprenticeship Week events.”
Drop-in sessions for the exchange of ideas and information are as follows:
Monday 2nd March
- An Awards ceremony will be held in Stornoway Town Hall between 11am - 2pm to mark the achievements of past apprentices and employability participants.
Tuesday 3rd March
- Stornoway – To celebrate the achievements of women into the STEM industries. Western isle woman in construction and Planning are hosting a STEM event. This will see pupils from Sir E Scott School and The Nicolson Institute taking part in site visit’s hosted by the group.
- Uist – The following Apprenticeship Information drop in sessions will be held in Sgoil Lionacleit 10am - 12:30pm and 1pm - 3pm in the school theatre. This will give Pupils, Parents and local Business’s interested in undertaking an Apprenticeship Route or host an Apprenticeship the opportunity to come along and get further information.
Wednesday 4th March
- Careers Event will be held in Stornoway Town Hall 10am until 4pm. This is open to school pupils, local industry and the general public. This is a great opportunity for all to come along, talk to local employers and discuss current and future opportunities.
Thursday 5th March
- Careers Event held in Sir E Scott school hall 1.15pm until 4pm. This is open to school pupils, local industry and the general public. This is a great opportunity for all to come along, talk to local employers and discuss current and future opportunities.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.