Community Care Services

Some of the Services We Provide

  • Self Directed Support
    The Scottish Government believes everyone should be in control of their life. Some people need support to lead an independent life and advocacy to be empowered to make important decisions about their life. 
    Self-directed Support 

    In order to achieve this the Scottish Government introduced The Social Care (Self-directed Support) (Scotland) Act 2013. The Act came into force on April 1, 2014 and places a duty on local authority social work departments to offer people who are eligible for social care a range of choices over how they receive their support.

    Self-directed Support allows people, their carers and their families to make informed choices on what their support looks like and how it is delivered, making it possible to meet agreed personal outcomes.

    Self-directed Support includes a range of options to ensure everyone can exercise choice and control:

    • a Direct Payment (a cash payment);
    • funding allocated to a provider of your choice (sometimes called an individual service fund, where the council holds the budget but the person is in charge of how it is spent);
    • the council can arrange a service for you; or

    you can choose a mix of these options for different types of support.

  • Care At Home
    The CnES Home Care Service organises and provides care for people living at home who may need help with personal care.
    Care At Home 

  • Community Care Assessment
    Eligibility for Care Services Leaflet (221.1kB) 

  • Physical Disabilites
    A full range of services for disabled people living in the area. These include assessment of needs, aids and equipment to help with tasks of daily living, funding to meet the cost of temporary adaptations to houses, provision of day services opportunities and supported accommodation.

  • Mental Health Officers
    Provision of a range of services for people living in the community who are affected by mental health problems. Some of which include assessment of needs, specialist advice, practical and emotional support, day occupational/supported work placement.

    Adult Support and Protection Act (2.1MB)

    The Local Authority is fulfilling it's duties in providing Mental Health Officers who would specifically carry out work under:-
    • Criminal Procedures (Scotland) Act 1995 (b)
    • Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000 (c)
    • Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003

  • Residential Care
    Island Care Homes

  • Learning Disability
    There is a full range of services and support available to people with learning disabilities and their families, including access to all general services such as assessment of needs, advice, support.
    Learning Disability 

  • Blue Badge Scheme
    This Scheme is a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with disabilities , whether they are a driver or a passenger. 
    Blue Badge Scheme 

  • Faire Out of Hours Service
    The 24-hour-a-day service provides reassurance to people living on their own. It provides an immediate response in an emergency, through our community alarm system, providing reassurance and support to carers.

  • Sight Action
    Provision of a quality specialist service for people with blindness / sight loss or deafness / hearing loss in the Western Isles.
    Sight Action Website (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) 

  • Tighean Innse Gall(TIG)
    Tighean Innse Gall operates principally across the housing, community group and small business sectors to deliver on its mission statement. TIG supports people to rent, buy and live in comfortable, affordable homes; promote independent living and assist business and communities to be more sustainable TIG operates in close partnership with the local authority, the NHS and the Integrated Joint Board as well as community planning partnerships to help shape services throughout the Western Isles.

Contact Us

People who wish to seek further information or initial advice and assistance can contact the Community Care Team, Social and Community Care Services and speak to the Duty Social Worker between 9.00am and 5.00pm Monday, Wednesday and Friday. A social worker can give advice and assistance either in person or by telephone. No appointment is necessary. Contact the Community Care Team


If you need to contact us about an emergency when our offices are closed, please contact our Out of Hours Service on 01851 701702.  They deal with emergencies for the whole of the Western Isles.