Most families experience difficulties and stress at some point in their lives. For some, help and support given at the right time can make all the difference. We provide a range of services to support children, young people and their families.
Some of the services provided include:
- assessment and planning for children and families affected by disabilities;
- an early intervention and prevention service for children and families experiencing difficulties;
- a service to support children involved in anti-social or youth offending behaviours;
- a service to children assessed as vulnerable and in need of support and protection;
- a service to Looked After Children, including those in Kinship Care, Foster Care and Residential Care;
- providing a service to the Children’s Hearing System and to the Sheriff Court; and
- the Family Placement Team offers respite care, fostering and adoption services throughout the Western isles. This service offers assessment for potential carers and adopters and ongoing support for approved Foster Parents and in certain circumstances, adoptive carers. If you would like a leaflet on 'How to Become a Foster Carer', please contact the Fostering & Adoption Team on 01851 822748. Information on becoming a Foster Carer . Information on becoming a Foster Carer
Anyone wishing further information or initial advice and assistance can contact Children’s Services at St Lennan’s Centre 01851 822749 and speak to the Duty Social Worker at any time between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Guidance and assistance can be sought either in person or by phone. No appointment is necessary.
If a member of the public has concerns about a child’s safety, contact should be made with Children’s Services on 01851 822749 during office hours (9.00am – 5.00pm) or, outwith office hours, FAIRE on 01851 701702 or Police Scotland on 101. Concerns can also be reported anonymously to CRIMESTOPPERS on 0800 555 111.
The Children and Families Teams
Lewis and Harris
St Lennan’s Centre, 22-24 Point Street, Stornoway HS1 2XF (Tel: 01851 822749)
Uist and Barra
Liniclate Education and Children’s Services Centre, Liniclate, Benbecula (Tel: 01870 604880)
Care Inspectorate inspection reports can be accessed via the Care Inspectorate (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) website.