Do you need some Help?
The Western Isles Learning Shop is an adult literacies centre run by the Adult Learning and Employability section of the Education & Children’s Services department.
Do you struggle with reading, writing or numbers?
Do you know someone who needs help with:
- writing a letter or filling in a form?
- counting, measuring or using money?
- using a computer or email?
- learning English as another language?
The Western Isles Learning Shop provides a relaxed and friendly environment for adults looking to:
- restart or further their learning
- gain qualifications
- learn new skills
- learn English
Learning can take place in various settings:
- in small groups
- one-to-one tutoring
- self-directed with tutor support
Learning support is confidential, free of charge and available to all. Learners can reclaim travel costs.
Staff at The Learning Shop Can Help
- adults with basic reading, writing, maths and computing skills
- support adults with learning difficulties to use literacies
- to boost confidence in literacies and improve prospects in jobs and further education
Current Learning Groups Include
- Reading and Writing – help with basic literacy skills
- Lifeskills – help with basic literacy, numeracy and social skills
- Help with the Driving Theory test
- SQA – Communication and Numeracy courses at SQA levels 3 and 4
- ESOL (English Spoken as an Other Language)
- Gaelic Homework support
Quotes from Past Learners
"A warm welcome, you can take your own pace at learning, a relaxed atmosphere."
"I enjoy coming to the learning shop because the staff are helpful and the learning is fun and informal - not like school."
Monday to Friday, 9am- 5pm
Western Isles Learning Shop
Unit 5 and 6,
7 James Street
Isles of Lewis
Tel: 01851 822718 or 07824 606 927