Mobility and Scrappage Fund

Up to £3,000 is available to eligible applicants in the Outer Hebrides for the disposal of their older vehicles and to encourage the switch towards active or shared travel options. Applicants will receive a £2,000 grant upon the disposal of their vehicle at a SEPA authorised (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) treatment facility and provision of a verifiable Certificate of Destruction. An additional Travel Better grant of up to £1,000 (based on two adults applying for £500 each) can be claimed towards the cost of shared or active travel (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) options once the vehicle has been disposed of.

The disposal grant is only available for one vehicle per household. Through the Travel Better grant, the applicant can apply for up to £500 each for themselves and another adult living in the same household. However, if the applicant wishes to buy a cargo bike, electric cargo bike or if an adapted cycle is best suited to their needs, they can apply for up to £1,000 towards the cycle option only.

More information on the Mobility and Scrappage Fund, as well as the travel options that the Travel Better grant can be used for is listed on the Energy Savings Trust Website (Opens in a new window or downloads a file). This fund is administered by Energy Saving Trust and funded by Transport Scotland.

The eligibility criteria document (155.9kB) (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) provides further information on the required criteria. Within the document is a list of eligible benefits (pg.2) as well as a table of the eligible postcodes (pg.3). Please use this document to check the areas covered by the fund.

To apply for the Mobility and Scrappage Fund, households can check their eligibility by filling out the self-referral form (Opens in a new window or downloads a file). If the applicant is found eligible, they will then be sent an application form to complete.

Please note this scheme is not run by Comhairle nan Eilean Siar and any enquiries or applications relating to this fund should be made to the Energy Savings Trust.