Four teaching trade unions have confirmed an intention to take national industrial action in different school sectors across 10th and 11th January 2022 as part of their on-going national pay campaign. After careful consideration of the likely extent of the strike, the Comhairle expects schools to be affected as follows.
Tuesday 10 January
- Early Learning and Childcare: Stornoway Childcare Centre and Sgoil Uibhist a Tuath Nursery will be open. All other Comhairle-operated nurseries and centres will be closed to children.
- Primary Schools: Sgoil Uibhist a Tuath will be open as normal. All other Comhairle primary schools will be closed to all pupils.
- All-through (3-18) Schools: Sir E Scott and Castlebay schools will be fully closed to all nursery, primary and secondary pupils.
- Secondary Schools: The Nicolson Institute and Lionacleit School will be open as normal.
Wednesday 11 January
- Secondary Schools: The Nicolson Institute and Lionacleit School will be closed to all pupils.
- All other schools, nurseries and centres will be open as normal
In addition, the following will apply during any of the above school closures.
- Nurseries not operated by the Comhairle expect to be unaffected (An Cotan, Stornoway Playgroup, Ravenspoint and Cothrom Og)
- All events, activities or meetings planned by schools for a day affected by industrial action will be cancelled or rescheduled
- A payment will be made to bank accounts for any children registered for Free School Meals (not including universal P1-P5 provision). It will be included with the next routine payment in December.
National pay negotiations with trade unions will be on-going right up to the date of the strike and there remains a possibility that the action may be suspended or changed. If that happens, information will be provided to parents and carers via the Comhairle’s usual communication and social media channels.
If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of any child or young person during the day of industrial action, please contact Faire on 01851 701702.
For information, trade unions have confirmed that, should the pay dispute continue, the next strike day affecting Comhairle schools will be on Friday 3rd February 2023 as part of a rolling programme of strikes affecting different specific authorities on different dates.