Comhairle nan Eilean Siar last week took to social media to ask for public submissions to help name the 6 gritting lorries serving the Isle of Harris.
Hundreds of comments were received with no shortage of creativity and humour while really testing the boundaries of snow-based puns.
Following careful deliberation of all the entries by the pupils of Sir E Scott school, the 6 new confirmed names for Harris are as follows:
Sleet and Diesel (which was the most popular suggestion), Chlear mi’n Tìr, Slushkentyre, Scar-ice-ta, Slushinish and Brrr E Scott will be seen on the Harris roads in the coming weeks and months.
A big thank you to everyone who took part.
Drivers are reminded that before they commence any winter journeys they should:
- Consider the need to travel
- Check the Weather Forecast
- Make sure your vehicle is ready for a journey in poor weather
- Consider what you might need in an emergency
- Allow extra time for your journey