Fishing Vessel Owners: Register Ahead of EU Exit

Local fishing vessel owners will need to register as ‘food businesses’, and have their vessel inspected by Comhairle nan Eilean Siar to enable catch to be exported, either directly or indirectly, to Europe after EU-exit.

Owners of Outer Hebrides registered vessels are urged to contact Comhairle Nan Eilean Siar’s Environmental Health team to register their vessels and make arrangements for their vessel to be inspected. This is a legal requirement for those vessels who intend to export their catch, either directly or indirectly, to any EU Member State after the end of the ‘transition period’ on 31st December 2020.

Exemptions apply if your catch is intended either for personal consumption, or it does not exceed 25kg and is for direct sale from the quayside.

Vessel owners are responsible for this registration process, and failure to do so may mean that their catches cannot be exported to EU member states at the end of the transition period.

More details and a registration form are available at Fishing Vessel Registration or by emailing environmental health at