Làithean-saora, sona, sàbhailte dhuibh!
Have a safe and happy holiday everyone!
This summer promises to be a bumper one for the Outer Hebrides in terms of an increase in visitor numbers. Television programmes such as ‘An Island Parish, ‘Coast’ and Monty Halls Hebridean Adventure’ have all showcased the breathtaking beauty of the Islands before a National and International audience.
Locally hosted events such as the ‘National Mod’, the ‘Lewis Chessmen’ exhibition, the ‘Tall Ships race’ and ‘Raleigh Hebrides’ will all add to those visitor numbers, as will the continuation of the Governments ‘Road Equivalent Tariff ’ Scheme which makes Island travel by ferry more affordable.
We at the Outer Hebrides Community Safety Partnership want you to fully enjoy your Islands experience and the variety of outdoor activities the Islands have to offer, we would ask you though to take heed of some basic personal safety tips to ensure that your trip to these wonderful Islands is remembered for all the right reasons.
- Please enjoy the harbours but be aware of pier-edge safety
- Before going on the water, carry out all of the maintenance needs to ensure that your boat is safe and seaworthy - get trained, check weather and tides, wear a lifejacket, avoid alcohol and keep in touch
- At the seaside always go with a friend whether you are swimming, or playing in the sea. Always have a friend with you as you never know when you might need help!
THINK SAFE - STAY SAFE
S - Spot the dangers
A - Always go with a friend
F - Find and read the safety signs and flags
E - Emergency! Stick up your hand and shout, tell a lifeguard or dial 999 for the Coastguard
- When venturing out onto the hills please ensure that you are suitably equipped for any sudden change in weather conditions, and always inform someone of your route and anticipated return time
- Road Safety - Take time to familiarise yourself with using passing places and be aware of cyclists and walkers, especially on single track roads. Please do not speed
- Adopt a common sense approach to alcohol at all times
Some Useful Web Sites
www.seavisionuk.org (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
www.mcagency.org.uk (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
magicseaweed.com (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
www.xcweather.co.uk (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
www.calmac.co.uk (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
www.visitscotland.com (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
HAVE A GREAT TIME AND WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT YEAR!
The Outer Hebrides Community Safety Partnership is a multi-agency group working together to promote community safety throughout the Islands. Our membership includes: Western Isles Council, Northern Constabulary, the Outer Hebrides Community Planning Partnership, Calmac, Maritime and Coastguard Agency, Highlands and Islands Fire and Rescue, Hebrides Search and Rescue, R.N.L.I., ‘Safetywise’ (Accident awareness and prevention) Hebridean Housing Partnership, Highlands and Islands Airways, NHS Western Isles, Third Sector Hebrides, Alcohol and Drug Partnership, VisitScotland and Stornoway Port Authority.