Social Security Scotland was set up by the Scottish Government to deliver a number of benefits. These benefits will be introduced in stages by the Scottish Government.
Once all of these benefits have been introduced, Social Security Scotland will be delivering benefits for families on low incomes, people who need help paying for a funeral, disabled people, carers, young people entering the workplace and to help people heat their homes.
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and local authorities will also continue to deliver some benefits in Scotland.
Social Security Scotland currently deliver the following benefits:
- Best Start Grant Pregnancy and Baby Payment
- Best Start Grant Early Learning Payment
- Best Start Grant School Age Payment
- Best Start Foods
- Carer’s Allowance Supplement
- Child Winter Heating Allowance (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- Funeral Support Payment
- Job Start Payment (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- Scottish Child Payment (Opens in a new window or downloads a file)
- Young Carer Grant
How Do I Apply?
Visit Benefits and Grants at mygov.scot (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) to apply online.
You can also call freephone on 0800 182 2222 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday) to complete an application over the phone or to request a paper application form.
If you're a British Sign Language user, you can use the contactSCOTLAND BSL (Opens in a new window or downloads a file) app to contact Social Security Scotland by video relay.